Chronicling the creative process for Pop Zeus, the forthcoming Guided By Voices/Bob Pollard tribute comic- including sketches, concepts, finished art and whatever else is in my brain at the moment.

Monday, February 27, 2006

My Big Day


So, I happened to check my work email late Thursday night. I had received a message just after I left work from someone I didn't recognize. My first thought was that it was spam. But upon closer inspection, I realized that it was totally legit- I was being contacted for an interview with a major music magazine! My little mind was blown and I immediately wrote the guy back- the interview had to be soon because the magazine was going to press shortly. That night I was so excited, I had trouble getting to sleep!

Early the next day I phoned Randy, the writer. He graciously agreed to the interview during my lunch hour. The chat itself went pretty well- I have a tendency to babble when I'm nervous so I'm sure the recorded version is not pretty. But most of what I imparted was coherent, I think. And I let a lot of secrets about Pop Zeus slip, knowing the mag wouldn't be out for a while. It felt more like a forty minute conversation than an interview and Randy was really laid back and cool, quite the Bob fan himself.

As requested, I sent along some past and present artwork samples later that evening and that was that. Randy also mentioned the possibility of parlaying this article into another magazine he freelances for, so I may get two articles out of the deal!

I am so absolutely excited and grateful for this opportunity. If this comes to fruition, mucho traffic to this blog will surely follow. A magazine article about little ole me? Who would have thunk it. Many praises as always to Bob and his music for making this project possible. And big huge thanks to Dave at Largeheartedboy.com for letting Randy know where to find me (I've since added contact info to my profile, he he)! More details will follow as things get firmed up- stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger largehearted boy said...

I'm glad I could help, congratulations on the interview.

1:26 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

Thanks Dave. You rock!

1:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home