Chronicling the creative process for Pop Zeus, the forthcoming Guided By Voices/Bob Pollard tribute comic- including sketches, concepts, finished art and whatever else is in my brain at the moment.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Devo - Jocko Homo Video

Another Monday, another groggy work day with a video post! Had a tough kung fu weekend- feel like I've been beaten by a bag of bricks (perhaps I was). Other than that, it was same ole, same ole.



Here is a truly weird video from another legendary Ohio band Devo. It is the Jocko Homo bit from their award winning 1976 short film The Truth About De-Evolution. The film got the attention of David Bowie and Iggy Pop, leading to their record deal with Warner Brothers. And Jocko Homo eventually found its way onto 1978's Brian Eno produced "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!". And it was this very album which prompted Robert Pollard to cut his long hair and quit his 70's heavy metal band Anacrusis (also featuring Tony Conley) after Mitch Mitchell got canned. It also made Bob think differently about punk rock in general. But don't take my word for it...
"When punk came in, I was kind of turned off by it, but then a friend of mine played me this album, and it just scared the fuck out of me, to the point where I thought music was steering off into an evil direction. But I kept listening, and it just blew my mind how good it was. To me, it was progressive rock because it was taking music in a new direction."

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home