Chronicling the creative process for Pop Zeus, the forthcoming Guided By Voices/Bob Pollard tribute comic- including sketches, concepts, finished art and whatever else is in my brain at the moment.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Guided By Voices MP3 Smorgasbord- Part Uno



Work has been bringing me way down this week. Feeling listless, unmotivated, pissed off, cranky, hot and most of all bored. My theory is that after several long weekends of fun and a glimpse of a life not stuck in a rut, returning to the rut has been a major bummer (I remind myself of Solsbury Hill). And this week has been especially intense at work, atoning for the relatively free and easy previous week when one of the two directors, the production manager and producer were all out. This is all to say that work sucks. To quote Bob once more, I don't like work and I don't like school and I don't like when you have to do shit you don't wanna do!

Anyway, here are some hand-picked free and legal MP3's of my favorite band of all time, plus various splinter incarnations, for your listening and downloading pleasure. One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain- so says another genius Bob and I couldn't agree more. The music is always there no matter what kinda crap-ass stuff you are dealing with, eh?..



(MP3s courtesy of gbv.com)

Everybody Thinks I'm A Raincoud (When I'm Not Looking)
- From Half Smiles of the Decomposed LP, which you should already own if you are reading this! Exactly the kind of song I need on a day like today- lovely and amazing song that gets better and better with each listen.

Matter Eater Lad
- From the EP Clown Prince of the Menthol Trailer, great rare track all about an obscure superhero from the Legion of Superheroes. Very lo-fi, punky and fun.

Total Exposure - Live at the Fillmore 6/24/01
- A show I was indeed present for, soon after I moved to San Francisco. I think I like the live version better than the Tonics and Twisted Chasers one. Good shit.

Drinker's Peace (full band version) - Live in Carboro NC 10/26/02
- This version makes me weep in my beer. Classic song, brilliant live performance.

Malamute Jute - From Doug Gillard's EP Malamute Jute
- Kickin' lead off track from Doug's 2000 solo release.



(MP3s courtesy of sashwap's MP3 page o' fun)

Titus And Strident Wet Nurse
- A little ditty you may remember from an earlier post. On the album, the song was split into two parts. Thankfully "Stoned Comedian Ringo" (whoever the hell that is) fused the two parts together with excellence!

Hiram Campbell on lo-fi trash (WYSO Around the Fringe 1996)
-Mysterious caller Bob... I mean Hiram Campbell calls into a radio show and harasses Mitch Mitchell and Kevin Fennell. Ha ha classic!

Watch Me Jumpstart (Sweden 2002)
- Mightiest live version of WMJ I've ever heard (with bonus amusing Swedish introduction)!



(MP3s courtesy of robertpollard.net)

Wings Of Thorn (demo)
-Digging this demo version way more than the Universal Truths And Cycles full band one. Lovely Bob guitar work on this.

You're Not The Queen Anymore
-Words can't describe how much I love this track off of Suitcase 2. It snuck up and bit me on the ass on day and never let go.

Death Of The Party
-Far and away, the best track off of the Keene Brothers album. And possibly one of Bob's all time best. Its a real grower, so give it some time and watch the magic unfold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home