Chronicling the creative process for Pop Zeus, the forthcoming Guided By Voices/Bob Pollard tribute comic- including sketches, concepts, finished art and whatever else is in my brain at the moment.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

For The Love Of All That Is Unholy, Go See Grindhouse!

I am baffled. After an expectedly stinky Easter weekend opening box office take (the most holy of Christian holidays may not be the best time to release a vile horror/exploitation film... plus its three and a half hour running length means less shows per day, less money per theater), Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez' Grindhouse had an even worse second weekend. The film lost more than half of its audience from opening weekend. And it has only brought in 20 million bucks total so far, a fraction of its production budget. What's the f is up with that, America?

Grindhouse was the most fun I've had at the movies in years. Yes, it is gory. Yes, it is violent. And yes, it has sexy ladies. But its all done so cleverly that you laugh the whole time and think afterwards. I am a unabashed Tarantino fan from way back, so I do admit a predilection to liking Grindhouse. But nearly everyone I've spoken to who has seen the film have loved it.



So please- run, don't walk to go see Grindhouse. If you consider yourself a serious film fan, you have no excuse. Don't wait for the DVD. Don't wait for the illegal download, you cheap bastards (joking). Don't! As with all things in our lovely uber-capitalist country, Hollywood listens when you vote with your dollar. Let's stop encouraging the "creative executives" in LA LA Land to make lame-ass sequels to lame-ass movies like Are We Done Yet (not even dignifying that with a link) and push the film envelope a little. (stepping off my soapbox...)



In other news, I had a great weekend and got some serious drawing done on Pop Zeus. Feeling more confident in that realm as I go. Unfortunately my scanner here at home is not interfacing with my ancient laptop. So it may be a while before I get some art up on the blog.

Had another black belt pre-test on Friday night and I kicked ass! Best one so far- feeling more and more ready. And that feeling is certainly helped by all the free time I have for burn-out recovery and additional weekday classes.

Oh, and I will post my Silverfish Trivia review soon- sorry for the delay. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home