Chronicling the creative process for Pop Zeus, the forthcoming Guided By Voices/Bob Pollard tribute comic- including sketches, concepts, finished art and whatever else is in my brain at the moment.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

R.E.M.- Wolves Lower Video

As promised in an earlier post, let's trip in the way back machine to the video for Wolves Lower, R.E.M.'s very first video off of 1982's Chronic Town EP. Early R.E.M. had a massive influence on an entire generation of musicians and artists, myself included. I jumped on board pretty late in the game, around the Green/Out Of Time era. But I proceeded to devour every bit of the bands music and remain a superfan to this day.

R.E.M. was also a huge influence on Robert Pollard and Guided By Voices. This was most apparent on 1986's Forever Since Breakfast EP and 1987's Devil Between My Toes but still in evidence up to the newest releases. I just realized that GBV started with an EP just like R.E.M.'s Chronic Town! And speaking of Chronic Town, it was listed in a 2004 Spin magazine article on the records that changed Robert Pollard's life. Here is the quote...

"The thing that turns me on is when I've never really heard it before. Michael Stipe's voice was so different. It reminded me of Peter Gabriel's, and I was intrigued by this whole 'mystery of the South' and all that shit. There have been a few bands where I've totally absorbed myself into their world, and R.E.M. was one of them. I see Peter Buck occasionally, and I'm always blowing smoke up his ass about how much they meant to me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home